Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Making wax

                                           Azaleas in bloom on the farm

    Well,  it has been another cold week here in the sunny south.  But I decided that the way to say warm was to make some old bees wax furniture polish.  It involves standing over a hot stove.  What a better way to stay warm.  It takes a double boiler to get all the wax to melt and add the other ingredients.   So I had lots of fun making the wax.  I think that it came out a bit thick,  but I can always reheat and add more turpentine.  At least I have lots for all my wood working projects.
I have been refinishing an old desk (secretary)  and I did not want to put varnish or polyurethane on it.  I can now use the bees wax and it will come out beautiful.


                                             Lots of Beeswax all shaved for the pot.


                                           Wax applied to the drawers and polished.  the rest is waiting to be done.

                  I found a really cute critter hanging out on the trash can,  and could not resist getting his photo  so I thought I would share it with you.


                              Well,  that's all the news from the south,  
                              Happy" farming" to all the farm girl sisters out there.
                               See you next week. down on the farm.

4 comments:

  1. Rebecca, you desk is turning out beautiful! I love the patina on the wood using the beeswax too. My pink azaleas have also started blooming in our yard but a few got zapped by the cold this past week. Now that more are coming our, I hope we don't have any more serious freezes to ruin them. My yard is the prettiest ever when they all bloom and I would have to have them all killed with a serious frost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping that the cold weather is done too. I can not wait for spring and I love the azaleas in bloom.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful desk and toad!How exciting for you to be making this beautiful piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love finding old pieces and bringing them back to life.

      Delete