Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Sand Hill Cranes have left the area.

           Monday,  all the sand hill cranes left  the Gainesville area.   There were several large groups of 100 or more that flew over the farm at different times  and I was able to get photos of them.   I love watching them fly and I love their call.    I have always called them children because they used to hang out at my best friends house down on Paynes Prairie.

     After they left I managed to get a few good photos of a Piliated woodpecker that was in the pines right behind the house.   They are really skittish and hard to photograph,  but this one hung around long enough for me to get the photos
   This was taken with the  long lens and you can see how big he really is.

    I finished getting some quilt tops done and also finished organizing my supplies for the show.  I also had extra electrical outlets put in the barn,  because I was running out of room and starting to step on cords.

    The amaryllis are starting to bloom in the yard.    I planted these bulbs about 25 years ago,  and they just keep coming back every year.  I really love the colors and enjoy seeing them bloom.

                    
                               Well,  that's all the news from the south,  
                              Happy" farming" to all the farm girl sisters out there.
                               See you next week. down on the farm.

2 comments:

  1. Yep, I heard the Sandhill Cranes from my house this week too. Their bugling gives me goosebumps as it is such a beautiful thing to see them arriving for the Winter and then leaving in the Spring. I wish them all the best and look forward to their late November arrival next Fall. My Amaryllis is not getting ready to bloom yet. Mine usually waits until April or early May for some reason. We have been having flocks of Goldfinches this Winter in our backyard. Have you been seeing them out at the farm?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I have been seeing them and the bluebirds are here too.

    ReplyDelete