Wednesday, August 12, 2015

The farm house

             Hello again.   Yes this is a photo of the farm house as it looks now.  I recently added the front deck on but it is too hot to sit out right now. Will feel much better in winter.  
   
             The tractor is due back soon.  Seems I was a bit silly, and did not check to see that the gas line was open.  I apparently caught it with my foot.   Silly Me.   I will know next time.  Well,  hopefully there will not be a next time.  But you can see in the photo the grass is growing  tall again.  Time to mow.

            This week I also built a mulch container, for building a mulch pile.  It is nothing fancy.   Just about 4 pallets screwed together,  but it will work well for the time being.  Mixing can be done with the loader on the front of the tractor,  unless I really feel the need to work out the arms and then a pitchfork will do.
           Twice this week I have seen turkeys up next to the house.  Two toms and two hens,  They have been looking for good insects to eat.  they certainly get the chickens up and looking at them  wanting to know what is going on.   The chickens have been out in their tractor several times this week,  usually up under the shade of a few big oak trees,  but I know that there are lots of good grubs under there and some good earthworms.  So they have been quite happy.
   
           I have some more pickles to put up and I think I am also going to try pickling some figs.  I have had them,  but never tried to pickle them,  and I want to try.   Hopefully that is on tomarrows to do list.  I have been house cleaning the farm house,  getting rid of the ever present cobwebs and dust,  along with all the dirt we track in to get water and gator aid to drink all day.  I need to stock up on that as well.

         Hope everyone is having a great week  .  Happy" farming" to all the farm girl sisters out there.
See you next week. down on the farm.

   

4 comments:

  1. Rebecca, I love, love your little Farm House! What a treasure you have there. Hopefully the tractor will be ready for work as I know how tall that grass is growing these days! Even here in Gainesville, all you have to do is look out your window and you can see it growing right before your eyes. Don't you love the pouring rain while the sun is shining lately? It must be like feeding steroids for the grass!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear when I cut it, I can hear it growing again.

      Delete
  2. What a great post! I have never been on a tractor! Could you imagine, those poor turkeys would be fleeing your farm! I hope to make a compost bin in my yard. Hey What does a fig growing look like! I would love to see a blog post on that too! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginger, I think I can do that, I have fig trees and there are some growing, so watch for next weeks blog.

      Delete